As much as I love a good road trip, we were starting to get tired of the car and each other. Good thing today was the last day! We had all sorts of grand plans for today. There was still a lot to see in Sinop. And then, according to Lonely Planet, the coastal drive from Sinop to Amasra is supposed to be incredibly beautiful- rivaling the California coastal byway.
We checked out of our little hotel and headed to
the jail! There is an old jail, that (frighteningly) closed in 1999, that we wanted to check out.
 |
| This handsome devil wanted his picture with Lucy. |
 |
| I'm not exactly sure why this old boat was here. Maybe, since this is the only local museum with enough space to display it? |
 |
| The prison was sort of built right into the old fortress walls. |
 |
| A cell in the juvenile area. |
 |
| The Juvenile Prison |
 |
The majority of the jail was an adult penitentiary. It is very Midnight Express- ish. |
I think after touring this place, the kids were encouraged to stay on the right side of the law! It was interesting to see, but very intense and dreary. I read Corrie Tin Boom's The Hiding Place this summer, and I could just picture her in a similar prison.
Then we walked across the street to see some more bits of the old fortress walls. The pictures cannot do justice to how massive and far-reaching these things are! It is hard to understand how humans constructed such them!
 |
| Bits of writing inlaid in the wall. |
Time to hit the road and get out of Sinop! We're burnin' daylight!
No comments:
Post a Comment